Student Health Services
The Coordinator of Student Health Services ensures confidentiality of medical information and provides:
- First aid to the Olds College Community
- Nursing assessment and care (injections, suture removal, dressing changes, etc.)
- Information about health care insurance
- Health education and non-judgmental counselling about:
- Tobacco use
- Addiction referral
- Lifestyle issues
- Sexual health
- Alcohol and other substance information
- Blood pressure, blood sugar monitoring
- Travel health information.
Equipment Loan is available for:
Olds College recommends that students are immunized as recommended by Alberta public health. To prevent disease or spreading disease it is recommended that all students have up to date immunizations. Tetanus/diphtheria is required every ten years. Flu clinics are held annually.
Immunization information is requested in order to:
- provide prompt and effective immunizations during communicable disease outbreaks (mumps and meningococcal outbreaks in Alberta),
- provide students with information so they can prevent an illness
- Influenza (flu)
Rabies for AHT and VMR students
Students enrolled in Animal Health Technology or Veterinary Medical Receptionist programs are immunized for rabies once they arrive on campus. The series is free of charge when they receive it at Olds College.
Students who have already been immunized for rabies are asked to have a rabies titre done within the past year. These tests can take 6 weeks for the results to be sent to the individual. Once the results are obtained, the results should be forwarded to the Nurse prior to arriving on campus if possible.
Students at Calgary Campus
- The above information applies to our students at the Calgary Campus.
- First aid is provided by the qualified first aider at the Calgary Campus. There is access to the Calgary Stampede Nurse for more serious injuries or illness.