Length of Program:  2 YearsProgram Intakes:  Fall Intake (September program start)Careers

Land Agent

"I found Olds College to be the perfect school. The instructors I had during the course of my two years were more that I could have ever hoped for. They were extremely knowledgeable, patient, helpful, and supportive. My experience with each and everyone of them was positive. I can comfortably say that I would recommend the College to anyone. I am extremely thankful to everyone for making my time there one of the best experiences of my life."

Calvin Hagel, Class of 2012

Olds College Land Agent student working in the field

What can you expect from our program?

Are you an excellent communicator? If so, this maybe a career suited for you. As a Land Agent you will learn how to work with industry, government and landowner stakeholders to arrive at mutually beneficial solutions to the acquisition of land for well sites, pipeline routes, highways and utility right of ways and alternate energy sites. Olds College is the leading educational institution in the training of surface land agents in Western Canada. You can play a vital part in negotiating land agreements while acting as a liaison between corporate or government agencies and the landowner.

What will you learn?

With our hands-on training in classrooms, labs and field settings you will learn how to play a pivotal role in the acquisition of land. The Land Agent program teaches land acquisition, land administration, land and agricultural management systems, legal rights, petroleum fundamentals and specialized land and petroleum terminology. During your second year as a student, you will participate in a practicum assignment to further develop your skills.

The Olds College Land Agent program is strongly supported by Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen, International Right-of-Way Association, and Alberta Association of Surface Land Agents. Olds College students are encouraged to join these associations (at a reduced fee) to interact with industry and build their professional network and secure employment after graduation.

Program at a glance

Credential: Diploma

Length of Program: 2 Years

Method of Delivery: On-Campus Delivery

Directed Field Study/Work Term/Practicum: An industry practicum is completed during the winter mid-term break of the final year of the program.

Program Intakes: Fall Intake (September program start)

Applications Open: October 1 for the Fall Intake

Selection Process for Admission: First Qualified, First Accepted

Tuition, Mandatory Fees, Books, and Supplies: Please refer to the current Fee Schedule for details

  • Year 1: Tuition & Fees: $5,470 / Books & Supplies: $900
  • Year 2: Tuition & Fees: $5,440 / Books & Supplies: $900

*These fees are provided as estimates only for the purposes of budgeting. Please note that all fees are best estimates and are subject to change.

International Students will require a Co-Op Work Permit as well as a Study Permit for this program.

What do I need to apply?

Admission Requirements:

  • 50% or better in English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2
  • 50% or better in Math 20-1 or 20-2
  • 50% or better in Science 20 OR Chemistry 20 OR Biology 20
  • Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement (completed at minimum 3 years of formal education taught entirely in English or provide the results of a recognized English Language Proficiency exam)
  • Complete a Career Investigation

Applicants to the Land Agent program are required to complete a Career Investigation. In this process, students are required to interview one or more licensed surface land agents to ensure they have a reasonable understanding of this unique career path and the skills required to be successful in the land agent industry.

The Career Investigation form and a contact list of licensed surface land agents can be found here:

Check out the Career Opportunities Available to Graduates of the Program.

Academic Upgrading and High School Applicants: Applicants currently in high school or who are completing academic upgrading must submit proof of enrollment and any available interim/midterm marks. Final marks must be submitted within one month following the completion of the course(s) and no later than one month prior to the program start date.

Alternate Admission Option: Alternate Admission status may apply to students who have not or will not complete one or more of the academic admission requirements. To apply under Alternate Admission Status, please provide the following:

  1. (Required) Transcript(s) showing any completed high school and post-secondary courses
  2. (Required) Letter of Introduction and Intent, outlining the following:
    • Introduce yourself
    • Indicate why you wish to enrol in the program
    • Elaborate on your career goals
    • Detail your experience relevant to this program and the industry
  3. (Required) A resume of your work history, extracurricular activities, volunteer service, etc. for the last 5 years
  4. (Optional) Include copies of any tickets and/or certificates you currently hold (e.g.: first aid, safety tickets, etc.)
  5. (Optional) Letter(s) of reference from current or past employers/coaches/etc. (maximum of two letters)

Out of Province Applicants: Please refer to the Provincial Equivalency Chart for course equivalencies.

International Applicants: Olds College welcomes applications from international applicants and those who have completed their high school education outside of Canada. Please note, it is still necessary to meet all of the noted admission requirements, including English Language Proficiency. Further information can be found on our website under International Students.

Where can I live on campus?

CHOC is the exclusive service provider of on-campus housing for Olds College. Live in Centennial Village, our newest campus living facility featuring 450 private suites (no roommates), or in College Courts our 4-bedroom townhouses. Enjoy a short commute to class, partake in weekly residence life events and enjoy the safety of living on campus.

Learn More

I have some more questions. Who do I contact for help?

Our Admissions office can help navigate you through the admissions process and answer any questions you have about your program of study.

Admitted Students

What materials and supplies will I need?

Congratulations! Admitted students will be required to purchase the following materials & supplies:

Information on required textbooks and any further supplies will be provided as you attend each class.

Visit the Admitted Students site

What are the program requirements & additional information?

Career Investigation

Before you begin your studies, the industry and the college have developed a Career Investigation requirement. This is your first opportunity to interface with industry as a student and we strongly recommend you approach industry well prepared and in a professional manner. This career investigation must be submitted to your Enrolment Advisor by no later than one month prior to the start date of the program. 

Time Requirements

As part of your studies you will be provided with the opportunity to participate in field trips and attend industry presentations. This is an excellent opportunity to see and participate in experiences talked about in class and to network with the industry. There may be additional costs associated with selected field trips and conferences.

Expect to attend classes approximately four to six hours per day, between 8 am and 5 pm daily. It is strongly recommended that you plan to review the day’s work in the evening or during spare times throughout the day. Students in the Land Agent program will attend two eight-month academic years (four semesters).

Computer Skills

Basic computer skills are recommended for all and it is certainly beneficial to have some prior experience with computers before you arrive at college. A familiarity and comfort in the use of Google products, word processing, spreadsheet and e-mailing software will be a definite asset. 

Commissioner for Oaths appointment

A Commissioner for Oaths appointment is required for Surface Land Agents who wish to work in Alberta or for an Alberta company. The Commissioner for Oaths designation is available to any Canadian resident who is working and living in Alberta. To be eligible for a Commissioner for Oaths appointment you must meet specific criteria. A criminal record may prevent an appointment. If you have a criminal record you will have to apply for a pardon.

Interim Land Agents Licensing Certificate

Prior to working as a surface land agent, you will also need your interim land agents licensing certificate. To achieve this, you will need to write a government exam. The Registrar of the Land Agents Licensing Office will often administer the exam during your second year here as a service to the College and it’s land agent students. There is a fee to write this exam.