International Health Insurance

If you are a student from outside Canada, you may be eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCCIP) coverage. You will need to apply for AHCIP coverage. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.

  • Students who have a 12 month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage.
  • Students with study permits valid for more than 3 months but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months. 
  • If the application is received within 3 months of entry into Alberta, coverage is effective on the date of either entry into Alberta or the date signed on the study permit, whichever is later.

Health Care Plans

In Canada, each province has health care plans that cover services such as doctor’s fees, emergency hospitalization and laboratory-diagnose services.

All International Students studying at Olds College need to have adequate medical insurance to cover any medical issues or accidents while they are here. Students without an insurance plan will be responsible for paying all costs for medical treatment from their own pocket. A visit to a doctor might cost $40-$60 or more and hospitalization can cost more than $1000 per day. A student who does not have medical insurance will have to pay the entire medical bill for services received. If a student has a Study Permit valid for at least 12 months, he/she may register for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) (This does NOT apply for Mexican students enrolled in the Post-Diploma Program). There is no cost for this plan. The plan covers visits to the doctor, lab tests, and emergency and hospital costs.

To be eligible for Alberta Health Care, you MUST provide a copy of your Study Permit that shows you are admitted to a study program for 12 months or more. You must register within 3 months of arrival in Alberta. Your spouse or children may also be covered if they are residing in Canada with you. Their immigration documents MUST show that they are allowed to be in Canada for at least 12 months in order for them to receive Alberta Health Care. Should you renew your Study Permit to continue your studies, you will need to send a copy to Alberta Health Care to remain covered by this plan. To get enrolled in Alberta Health Care, you may mail your application (with a photocopy of your Study Permit) to the address listed on the application form or you may appear in person with your passport and Study Permit to the Calgary office located at: 727, 7th Avenue SW. Should you have questions, please call (403) 297-6411. Alberta Health Care offices are open from 8:15 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. More information / forms

StudentGuard Health Insurance

All non-Canadian students, who have a Study Permit valid for less than 12 months, will automatically be enrolled with StudentGuard Health Insurance. Student Guard is mandatory for ALL international students. Student Guard Insurance covers doctor’s visits, prescriptions and more and is charged on a semester basis. It is important for students to understand what services are covered and what services are not (dental care, eyeglasses or anything pertaining to pre-existing condition). Students with existing medical conditions should:

  • bring a copy (in English) of their medical history,
  • bring an adequate supply of any prescription currently being taken, and
  • bring an extra pair of glasses and/or supply of contact lenses

It is also important for students arriving in Olds for the first time to confirm their arrival (date) with the International Department so that coverage begins the minute they arrive in Canada and ends the last day of classes and final exams. International students who wish to opt out of the student health plan will need proof of equivalent coverage elsewhere.