Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services at Olds College is committed to creating an inclusive and optimal learning environment for all students. Offering a variety of supports and services for students with diagnosed disabilities, mental health diagnosis, or learning challenges, Accessibility Services works  to remove barriers and promote success. Accommodations can be utilized both in-class and in an exam setting. Some commonly used supports include:

  • Extra time for exams and quizzes

  • A distraction-reduced space for exams 

  • Note taking support 

  • Assistive technology support 

Students registered with Accessibility Services also have access to all Olds College Academic Supports such as tutoring, time management workshops, and more.







  Test Centre

Test Centre

Assistive Technology  

Assistive Technology
(coming soon)


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I don’t have documentation, but was given accommodations through high school. Will I still be able to receive accommodations?

The Accessibility Services Specialist can work with you to obtain documentation. Interim accommodations may potentially be provided if needed until documentation can be collected.

Q: What is the difference between permanent and temporary accommodations?

Unlike permanent accommodations, temporary accommodations have an end date that is indicated by a doctor, athletic therapist, or other healthcare providers. Different documentation is also accepted for temporary accommodations, such as a doctor’s note with a signature and date given. Some examples of common temporary accommodations include:

  • Concussions
  • Broken arm 
  • Scheduled surgery that impedes on class time or the completion of school work
Q: What is the difference between an Emotional Support Animal and Registered Service Animals? Can I bring my ESA to class?

Only certified Service animals are permitted to be with the student in classes at Olds College. If you are from Alberta, you will need to provide a copy of your Service Dog Identification Card issued by the Government of Alberta. If you are still unsure, here is a quick reference to differentiate three common types of animals you might hear about or see:

  • Service Animals: Trained by an organization with the individual and certified by the Government of Alberta; these animals are registered to work with the individual in need.
  • Support Animals: Personally owned and have obtained certification for the purpose of support and comfort for the individual.

Therapy Animals: Certified and trained to provide support and comfort.

Q:What is considered confidential?

All the documentation you provide to the Accessibility Services Specialist is considered confidential. This means only you and the Accessibility Services Office have access to your file and documentation. Instructors and support staff are not notified of your diagnosis and disability, unless you provide written, informed consent, to release this information. If you are over 18, you will also need to sign a written consent form if you would like a parent or guardian to have access to your information.