Skip to main content

Accessibility Services


Accessibility Services at Olds College is committed to creating an inclusive and optimal learning environment for all students. Offering a variety of supports and services for students with diagnosed disabilities, mental health diagnosis, or learning challenges, Accessibility Services works  to remove barriers and promote success. Accommodations can be utilized both in-class and in an exam setting. Some commonly used supports include:

  • Extra time for exams and quizzes

  • A distraction-reduced space for exams 

  • Note taking support 

  • Assistive technology support 

Students registered with Accessibility Services also have access to all Olds College Academic Supports such as tutoring, time management workshops, and more.

Compass Student Portal

Compass is a case management software implemented by Accessibility Services to create efficiency in supporting students while also allowing easier access for instructors to keep track of accommodated students and their supports. 

Compass will centralize academic supports and give students back agency over registration, submission of documents, and booking appointments and exams. 

As a student, you will be able to log into your Compass portal with the same credentials you use for your OC email and Moodle, to access your accommodation letters and book exams.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Unlike permanent accommodations, temporary accommodations have an end date that is indicated by a doctor, athletic therapist, or other healthcare providers. Different documentation is also accepted for temporary accommodations, such as a doctor’s note with a signature and date given. Some examples of common temporary accommodations include:

    • Concussions
    • Broken arm 
    • Scheduled surgery that impedes on class time or the completion of school work
  • All the documentation you provide to the Accessibility Services Specialist is considered confidential. This means only you and the Accessibility Services Office have access to your file and documentation. Instructors and support staff are not notified of your diagnosis and disability, unless you provide written, informed consent, to release this information. If you are over 18, you will also need to sign a written consent form if you would like a parent or guardian to have access to your information. 
  • Only certified Service animals are permitted to be with the student in classes at Olds College. If you are from Alberta, you will need to provide a copy of your Service Dog Identification Card issued by the Government of Alberta. If you are still unsure, here is a quick reference to differentiate three common types of animals you might hear about or see:

    • Service Animals: Trained by an organization with the individual and certified by the Government of Alberta; these animals are registered to work with the individual in need.
    • Support Animals: Personally owned and have obtained certification for the purpose of support and comfort for the individual.

    Therapy Animals: Certified and trained to provide support and comfort.

  • The Accessibility Services Specialist can work with you to obtain documentation. Interim accommodations may potentially be provided if needed until documentation can be collected.


To receive academic accommodations, documentation must be provided. Why is this needed? Documentation assists the Accessibility Services Specialist to understand potential needs and barriers, and to assist in the tailoring of specific learner’s needs. Some common examples of documentation that is accepted by the Accessibility Services Office includes:

  • Individual Program Plans (IPP’s) or Individual Learning Plans (ILP’s)

  • Psycho-educational assessments 

  • Letter from a doctor

  • Letter from a psychiatrist

Ideally, documentation should be recent, obtained within the last 5 years. If you are looking for Schedule 4 funding, documentation requirements may look a little more specific. Information on what is needed for Schedule 4 funding can be found here. If you have documentation, but are unsure if it qualifies or if you do not have updated documentation, contact the Accessibility Services Specialist.


The earlier you register the better! Once you have been accepted into your program, it is a good idea to try and gather all the supporting documents you might need and complete the online registration form, which can be found here. Once you have completed the form, the Accessibility Services Specialist will email you with more information, including how to submit your documentation and access supports while attending Olds College. 

You can book an appointment by emailing Appointments are offered throughout the year, Monday - Friday and can be made at any time if you find that you have questions, are struggling with classes, or need to adjust your accommodations.

Students diagnosed with a permanent disability may be eligible for funding from both Alberta Student Aid and Canada Student Aid. This extra funding can be used in a variety of ways, including funding for equipment such as a laptop, reading pen, assistive technology, and more.  In order to apply, documentation must be recent, stating a permanent diagnosis, along with limitations or specific accommodations. It is best to start the application early to ensure it arrives when you begin the school year. Student Aid Alberta recommends submitting the application two months before your start date.


More information, along with the Schedule 4 application, can be found on the Alberta Student Aid website. Keep in mind that the application needs to be filled out in conjunction with the Accessibility Services Specialist. If you have general questions and inquiries about Alberta Student Aid, please contact the Student Aid Officer at

Explore Student Resources

Accessibility Services Advisor