Skip to main content

Coming to Canada

Arrival and Orientation

International students are encouraged to arrive in Olds at least a week prior to the first day of class. This will allow you to adjust to the new location and familiarize yourself with the community and the campus.

Travel from the Airport

Olds College offers limited shuttle services you can access through the Admitted Student Checklist.

Immigration Frequently Asked Questions

  • Full time status is determined by your institution. At Olds College, 9 credits is full time.

  • There's a statement in the conditions section of your study permit document indicating whether you are permitted to work on or off-campus. If you are permitted to work, you may do so. According to the recent IRCC update, international students already in Canada, as well as applicants who have already submitted a study permit application as of December 7, 2023, are allowed to work off-campus for more than 20 hours per week until April 30, 2024. You are responsible for complying with the latest IRCC policies related to international students.

  • If co-op is part of your program of study, you need a co-op work permit. You may have received it upon entry to Canada; however, if you did not, you will need to apply for one.

  • If you are enrolled in a qualified certificate or diploma program, your spouse or common-law partner, and dependent children may be able to visit you in Canada while you are studying.

  • Open Work Permits are only available to spouses or common-law-partners of international students pursuing master’s and doctorate degrees, or a professional degree-granting program (e.g., medicine, dentistry, law, etc.).

    Spouses of international students at other levels of study, such as undergraduate and college program are no longer eligible.

  • This is never a good idea. You need to visit the International Office if you wish to do so. This could affect your eligibility to stay in Canada and your eligibility for a Post-Graduation Work permit.

  • If your program has a scheduled break, such as summer (May to August), you can work full time hours. You must be a full-time student before AND after the break.

  • A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is what allows you to enter Canada. Your country of citizenship will determine if you need this in addition to your study permit. Your TRV has to be valid if you wish to leave Canada and return.

  • A Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) grants international students the opportunity to remain in Canada after completing their studies. The duration of the PGWP is determined by the length of the program completed by the student.

Student Townhouses

Arrange Accommodations

It is the student's responsibility to secure appropriate accommodation. Students have two options for on-campus accommodation. Please review the options and application requirements. We prioritize your safety, experience, & well-being; making it the ultimate place to call home while you study!

Learn More

Living in Canada

Learn about the town of Olds, its location, transportation options, amenities, and services.

Weather in Olds

Olds experiences a wide range of weather, so it is advisable to prepare accordingly with appropriate clothing.

Spring (March - May)

Temperatures can be cooler at the start of spring and start to warm up by May. Typically days are clear and sunny, with periods of rain.

Summer (June -August)

Temperatures range in the high teens to mid-20 and can reach as high as 35℃. June is normally a rainy month. The area is also known to produce large storms (thunder, lightning, hail, strong winds) during the summer months.

Fall (September - November)

September will see warmer days reaching 20℃ and November daily temperatures falling around 0℃ to 5℃. Overnight lows in October and November can fall to -20℃. Snow usually starts to fall in late October.

Winter (December - February)

Temperatures during these months can vary drastically throughout the day. You can expect highs of +10℃ and lows of -35°C. There will typically be snow & ice on the ground.


A variety of seasonal clothing is required. Light-layered clothing is great for Spring to Fall. Warm inner clothing and heavy outerwear are necessary for the winter months, as well as winter boots, mittens, and toques.

Some programs do have a dress code (refer to program pages). It is very important to pay attention to any safety equipment/clothing required.

The town of Olds has a variety of shopping locations to purchase clothing. Uptowne Olds is a short walk from the College and offers a number of independent boutiques. The main shopping location is within driving distance of campus and offers clothing options ranging from everyday wear to work wear and safety clothing.


There is limited public transportation from Calgary or Edmonton to Olds. Within the town limits, residents can utilize taxi services, walk, or bike ride.

Explore International Admissions