Skip to main content

International Student Health Care

All international students studying at Olds College need to have adequate medical insurance to cover any medical issues or accidents while they are here. A visit to a doctor may cost $40-$60 or more and hospitalization can cost more than $1000 per day. A student who does not have medical insurance will have to pay the entire medical bill for services received.

Health & Dental Plan (Students' Association of Olds College)

International students are encouraged to check their fee schedule to verify their health and dental plan coverage. More details can be found on the Fee Schedule and MyStudentPlan webpages.

GuardMe Health Insurance

All International students who are registered in programs that are one year or less will be registered in GuardMe Insurance unless they can provide the following:

  • proof of Alberta Health Insurance or;
  • a study permit or Letter of Introduction valid for more than 12 months and 
  • not eligible for AHCIP and do have other private health insurance

GuardMe Insurance covers doctor’s visits, prescriptions and more and is charged on a semester-basis. Services not covered are dental care, eyeglasses or anything pertaining to pre-existing condition. Students with existing medical conditions should:

  • bring a copy (in English) of their medical history,
  • bring an adequate supply of any prescription currently being taken, and
  • bring an extra pair of glasses and/or supply of contact lenses

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

If you are a student from outside Canada, you may be eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage. You will need to apply for AHCIP coverage. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.

  • Students who have a 12 month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage.
  • Students with study permits valid for more than 3 months but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months. 
  • If the application is received within 3 months of entry into Alberta, coverage is effective on the date of either entry into Alberta or the date signed on the study permit, whichever is later.

To enrol in AHCIP, you may mail your application to the address listed on the application form or you may appear in person with your passport and Study Permit to any authorized office. 

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (

Frequently Asked Questions

The healthcare system in Canada, particularly in Alberta, may differ significantly from that of your home country. Medical expenses can be high, making it crucial to have insurance coverage.

As an international student at Olds College, you will be automatically enrolled in international health insurance starting from the date your program begins. If you are enrolled in a program lasting 12 months or longer, you are eligible to apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP).

  • AHCIP stands for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan, which provides comprehensive coverage and helps save costs. It's commonly referred to as the Alberta Health Card or ABHC.

  • GuardMe is an international insurance provider which provides coverage, with no co-insurance or deductibles, for doctor’s visits, hospitalizations for urgent medical care, paramedical services, medications, and urgent dental care.

  • This plan complements your Alberta Health Card (ABHC) coverage by offering services and prescription drugs that are not included in ABHC. It also provides partial coverage for additional services such as dental, massage, or vision care.

  • GuardMe and AHCIP primarily cover doctor's appointments, hospital services (including emergencies and admissions), laboratory exams, tests, and vaccines. Mystudentplan can help reduce costs for required prescription drugs, vision exams and glasses, appointments with paramedical practitioners, dental treatments, ambulance rides, and emergency travel assistance.

  • You can apply by mail (sending your documents by post) or in-person at a Registry.

    Please note that the Olds Registry does not offer this service. The nearest Registry to Olds that offers this service is the Freeman Registry in Innisfail, which is a 25-minute drive from Olds. For more information, you can read more here.

  • As an international student at Olds College, you will have International Health Insurance. However, we highly recommend that you apply for AHCIP to ensure you have access to comprehensive healthcare.

  • Yes, you may, after you have obtained your Alberta Health card. Please complete the Opt-Out form form to opt-out of the International health insurance.

  • Yes, you may, however, you must have comparable private insurance to that. For more information on the opt-out process, please visit the mystudentplan page.

  • Yes. Click on this link for more information. Health and Wellness offers a range of services to support your well-being during your time in Canada.

  • Schedule an appointment with the nurse on campus. In case of an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

Need Assistance?

Our   Admissions  office can help navigate you through the admissions process and answer any questions you have about your program of study.