Skip to main content

Current (International) Students

  • International students may be eligible to work on and or off campus during their studies and academic break. Students should refer to their study permit for conditions regarding their ability to work while studying.

    Some academic programs require an internship or practicum, and a co-op work permit will be required. Students should apply for their co-op work permit at the same time as they apply for their study permit. If your program requires you to have a co-op work permit, your Admission Officer will provide you with the appropriate documentation to apply for one. Learn more about the requirements. 

    If you are planning to work or are required to do an internship or practicum, you are required to have a Social Insurance Number. Your Admission Officer can assist you in starting this process.

    Working After Graduation

    After you graduate from your program of studies, you may be able to work temporarily in Canada. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada website for more details.

  • How do I check my final grades? 

    Log into your MyOldsCollege account >> Student Services tab >> Student Records >> Academic Transcript >> Transcript Level: Undergraduate & Transcript Type: Unofficial

    How do I get my official transcripts?

    Submit an official Transcript Request. (This can be done as soon as classes are registered as it will show the current courses and 'In progress')

    Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

    How do I get a program completion letter?

    After final grades are posted, you can submit a Program Completion Letter Request.

    Your program will be audited for completion after your instructors have entered the final grades before your letter can be issued.

    Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

    How do I get a letter that states that I am a full-time student?

    Request an Enrolment of Verification Letter Request.

    Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

    How can I invite my parents to convocation from overseas?

    We no longer provide convocation invitation letters. Students are to use their Letter of Acceptance, Verification of Enrollment, and convocation information available on the website or provided through email notifications. If you have any questions regarding these documents, please email

    How do I request a receipt for payments I have made?

    Email or request a receipt at the time of payment.

    Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

    Can I ask for my friends' personal or student information?

    No. At Olds College, we can only share your personal information with you, the individual student.

    This is due to Alberta's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act which local public bodies such as universities or colleges must follow.

  • Assignment

    An assessment normally involving the application of theoretical concepts or practices, covering specific course competencies or outcomes. A task or work assigned to a student as part of a course of study. Usually an assignment includes research and some type of report (a document, a spreadsheet, etc) and has a set deadline to complete it.


    An assessment normally involving the application of theoretical concepts or practices, covering a range of the course competencies or outcomes; normally carried out over a period of time with clear expectations and due date.

    An academic project may be a formal document whose major sections include an abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusions and recommendations. The process of writing and presenting an academic project is guided by certain rules. A project may also be a longer sequence of assignments linked together to have students prove their understanding of several learning outcomes in the course.


    An assessment related to specific course competencies or outcomes. A test of knowledge, especially a brief, informal test given to students. Formats for quiz questions typically include fill-in-the-blank, multiple choice, and true or false. Quizzes may include some interpretive, open-ended questions, such as essay questions. Quizzes are shorter than tests.


    An assessment covering a range of course competencies and objectives, normally larger and more rigorous than a quiz. 

    A test covers a larger chunk of the course material than a quiz — usually a whole unit or section. Like a quiz, tests often include multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, calculation and true or false questions, but they usually also have several open-ended questions, such as essays or short-answer questions that ask the student to explain a concept in their own words. Tests are longer than quizzes and typically have 40 to 50 questions or more.

    Final Exam

    A cumulative assessment covering all course competencies, and is conducted during the final exam period. The Final exam definition used at Olds College is quite specific and refers to an exam that will be scheduled during Exam Week.

    Go to Learning Resources to find ways to be successful in your student life in Olds College.

  • Being in a different country alone (or with a few family members) can be a little difficult, different place, different language and different culture. The better way to make it easier is getting involved in social and academic activities. We can help with some activities specially developed for International Students:

    • International Students Microcredential - your first course. The first module you need to do online using Moodle, the second and the third will be in a hybrid way, some in person activities and some online. The last module will help in the end of your first year to help you with your future.

    • Community engagement

    • Field/Cultural Trips

    • Peer tutor - get help understanding the content of a course

    • Learning coach - learn strategies to save yourself time and effort

    • Study Buddy - match with another student in your program

    • Conversation Cafe - practice English informally, meet domestic and international students

    • Study group

    • Time is important, be punctual. For Canadians being punctual means be in your classroom, event or meeting at least 5 minutes before it starts.

    • You are responsible for your studies. Organize your time. Ask if you have questions.

    • If you need to work in a group - for an assignment or a project - remember to work in a group, teamwork is important and will help you a lot in your professional life.

    • Team work doesn't mean accepting everything. Teamwork is about sharing experience and ideas, accepting the majority decisions and staying together.

    • It means sharing responsibility and work.

    • There are different ways to write, and it is related to your culture. Try to learn more about the Canadian way, you will have amazing Communications instructors to help you.

    • Ask questions. There are no bad questions, ask in class or outside class.

Immigration Consultant

Olds College has an Immigration Consultant available to coordinate sessions about PGWP and Permanent Residence as well as help students with their specific questions - our consultant will be available on the last wednesday of each month from September to May (except in December).

Keep track of dates at International Student Events and in your email.

International Student Events Calendar

Where We Come From

International Student Experience

Contact the International Student Experience with your questions and suggestions and when you don't know who can help you.

Phone: 403.507.7976
WhatsApp: 403.586.2730 (chats only)

Learning Support
Contact our Learning Support for academic support.

Anna Morgan-Wold
Phone: 403-556-4601

Student Advisors
Contact our student advisors to talk about your academics questions.


  Join the Facebook Group